Make a Nomination
The Importance of Celebrating Women
We're thrilled that you're excited about our initiative, and we want to hear about remarkable women in Columbia that you'd like to honor with a place on the City of Women map. We're amazed by the incredible women in our city—past and present—and we believe that the more we celebrate women, the more we empower one another, break down barriers, and enhance possibilities for women. Our map is a starting piece that's meant to honor women, encourage conversations about other inspiring women, and undo the subtle, often subliminal, messages we absorb about who has power and deserves to be recognized.
While we highlight the achievements of specific women in Columbia, the ultimate goal of our work is to encourage women, young girls, and everyone in the state to share stories about the many strong, courageous, and driven women in their lives.
We select honorees who have made a significant and lasting impact on the lives of women and families in Columbia. We aim to highlight women who embody the following criteria.
- Help others thrive
Women who’ve enhanced the strength, knowledge, and well-being of others.
- Push boundaries & create opportunities
Women who’ve advocated for change, persisted against the odds, and created new opportunities for themselves and others.
- Stand up for others
Women who’ve spoken out against injustice, fought to protect the vulnerable, and empowered others to be courageous.
- Lead the charge
Women who’ve committed to a cause, inspired others to take action, and made Columbia better.
- Create beauty & strengthen culture
Women who’ve shaped art and culture, spurred imaginations, and encouraged new perspectives.
Nomination Process & Form
We hope this information helps you understand our nomination and selection criteria. Columbia City of Women operates on an annual submission and review cycle. We receive, review and select nominees on the timeline outlined below:
- We are accepting all 2020 nomination applications through November 15th, 2019.
- Our review process takes ~45 days. We consider all of our nominee submissions against the outlined nomination criteria. During this time we may reach out to the submitter, should we have any follow up questions, in order to get a clearer picture of the nominee.
- Our review committee will reach a final decision by January 3rd, 2020. We will contact all honorees and/or family and relatives of nominees upon these decisions.
- All nominees will be awarded and recognized at the beginning of March, 2020. These women, along with our past honorees will continue to be recognized and celebrated throughout the coming year.
- Nominations for the following year will become open again in April, 2020.
Please know we value your input, we're grateful for your nominee story, and we'll be in touch.